Here are some of my favorite things to do (in no particular order).
– A visit to Cisco Brewers is a must in my book. Featuring spirits, wines and hand crafted beers, Cisco has something for everyone. My advice is to head over to Bartlett’s Farm for some snacks and then make your way to the brewery. My drinks of choice include a nice cold Grey Lady and the Blueberry Lemonade.
– Since I was a little girl, I have always loved walking the docks at Straight Wharf. I feel like I am in a different world when I am surrounded by the beautiful yachts and sailboats and seeing how the other half lives is always fun!
– I love ice cream and from the line outside The Juice Bar, I clearly am not alone. Their ice cream is simply the best. I suggest spending the extra $1.25 for a homemade waffle cone. Lately I have been on a vanilla kick (boring, perhaps but so good) but their banana, brownie a la mode, and seasonal blackberry are crowd pleasers, I promise.
– Nantucket has a very interesting history, which I can proudly say my family was part of. Head over to The Whaling Museum and see the sewing table that my great, great-grandfather (I think that’s right) brought back from one of his journeys around South America to China. See, interesting history, right?!
– I have a confession to make, I have never done the Sconset/Polpis bike ride but I do promise that it is on my list of things to do this summer.
– Squam Swamp is one of my favorite spots on the island. This 1.75 mile trail features vernal pools, amazing trees, bogs, and a swamp of course. Nature at its finest on this rock!
– I am a pseudo Nantucket art collector. I purchased my first piece in 2006, a landscape by Elizabeth Congdon and today my collection includes paintings by Gay Held, Robert Frazier, Katie Trinkle Legg, and Alison Hall Cooley. This is my long-winded way of saying that the artistic talent on this island runs deep and lucky for all of you, many of the galleries do Friday night openings throughout the summer. Check out Old Spouter Gallery , Robert Foster Gallery and East End Gallery for schedules. A perfect way to begin a weekend for sure.
Should you have other island favorites, I would love to hear!