Last week, I came across an article listing out the “Top 5 Reasons to Consider a Women’s College“. So for all your young ladies out there considering your schools of choice (Kate, this may be for you), here is my “Top 5” list of reasons to consider MHC:
1. The people – I know I am quite biased, but the student population at Mount Holyoke is the creme de la creme. The women I shared the classroom with came from literally all corners of the globe and truly taught me just as my professors did. And the friendships I made, they have stood the test of time. My nearest and dearest are my sisters from MHC!
2. The campus – Consistently ranked one of the most beautiful campuses in the country, the grounds at Mount Holyoke are breathtaking. Walking around upper lake after a long day of studies always provided that little bit of reprieve I needed. The gates, the ivy-covered buildings, the dorms themselves (walk-in closets, why yes). I still get shivers down my spine driving up Rt. 116 and seeing the clock and the infamous gates.
3. The food – Milk and cookies, gracious meals, Tailgate Picnic… and that is without even crossing the hill to Amherst or the water to Northampton. Really, the happy valley is where it’s at. Seriously, though, if you chose MHC, you will be spoiled by the dining options. And no, I did not put on the “freshmen 15” thanks to the mandatory P.E. requirements!
4. The legacy – I was so proud to be the first in my family to graduate from college and walking across the stage in Kendall to receive my diploma (sadly it was raining so we didn’t graduate in the amphitheatre), was one of the best days of my life. But, the truly great thing is the recognition I have received over the past 10 years as a product of a women’s college. Our legacy is strong and deep and one that just gets better with age. And, returning back to campus for reunions and seeing the women who graduated before returning nearly 60 years later, it is overwhelming. A sisterhood like no other.
5. And of course, the education – Cause really, that is what college is all about. First and foremost, Mount Holyoke is part of the 5 College consortium, which means you can take classes at Hampshire, Smith, Amherst and UMass. A great value to pass along to your parents. In all seriousness, though, the time that my professors put into my studies was remarkable. Almost all were willing to meet with me at anytime to discuss a project, an assignment, that paper that I just couldn’t get started. And, the other really cool thing is that I connected with a handful outside of the classroom. Dinners at their homes, babysitting their little ones, it was a family. And one that at times, you need.
This quote pretty much sums up my feeling on why you should go to Mount Holyoke: “We need women who are so strong that they can be gentle, so educated that they can be humble, so fierce that they can be compassionate, so passionate that they can be rational, and so disciplined that they can be free. We need uncommon women. And here you are. And how deeply reassuring to me it is to know that wherever we go, there you will be.” Mount Holyoke is the meeting place of uncommon women. So, if you are uncommon, MHC is the place for you. Look forward to having you as a sister in the future!