The official start to summer is only 17 days away. Do you know how excited I am? Remember last year’s post on just what you will find in my beach bag? Well guess what… this week’s found item will be replacing an oldie but goodie: a new paddleball set from the one and only Terrain. Don’t you just love the design and color? Now I just need to find a matching bathing suit. Wish me luck!
I woke up this morning with the sun streaming into my bedroom and it made me happy. Happy because the days are getting longer. Happy because I might finally be able to put away my winter boots, my down jacket and my mittens. And happy because I can soon switch over the closet to my spring/summer wears. I tend to keep things basic during these seasons but add a punch with an accessory be it a statement necklace, scarf or a great clutch. This week’s Found item is this Clare Vivier number. It was certainly love at first sight. I envision wearing it with my go-to white jeans, a black tank (note to self: get on that plank challenge and buff up your arms) and my Millie’s for a night out at The Box. How many days till summer?
Happy Friday, friends and welcome to a new weekly column: found. My thinking behind this is quite simple, showcase one item I’ve recently fallen in-love with. Up first, let me introduce you to Millie. Isn’t she just the perfect sandal? We made acquaintances earlier this week and I’m thinking I need to add her sister to my closet too. I know I am going to wear these sandals all summer long… from a day look with my boyfriend jeans and a white v-neck to dinner out in my favorite sundress. If you are in the market for a new sandal, I highly recommend these.
I just love summer nights… the air, the sounds, the stars. My nightly routine is quite simple… wash my face, brush my teeth and slip into a little something sweet just for me. My collection of nightgowns is quite impressive. Some may say I have a slight problem but I swear, they help me sleep! Here are just a few of my favorites for these summer nights:
– Anthropologie’s loungewear collection is one of my favorite. They hit a home run with this lace romper. Sweet, sexy and chic all in one.
– If I could, I would totally wear this little short set to run errands. The tank matches my boho girl aesthetic!
– There is just something about falling asleep in your boyfriend’s button-down, right ladies?! Thankfully the Gap’s body collection has the perfect shirt for us single ladies!
– In my opinion, this is the perfect t-shirt/short combo for those summer nights that turn into lounging summer days on the porch.
– I can’t get enough of Ebejey’s chemises. Think I have four hanging in my closet at the moment. The best cotton ever!
This past weekend I stocked up on some baby kale (my newest obsession), cucumbers (gosh those dark under eye circles) and some beautiful yellow and green zucchini. I just love tea breads so Monday afternoon I thought I would experiment with a new zucchini bread recipe. Several recipes call for at least a cup of vegetable oil, which I knew wouldn’t help my get-into-a-bathing-suit cause. I did a little research and to my surprise learned that I could substitute apple sauce for oil. Genius!
Here’s the recipe I settled on.
May’s Healthy Zucchini Bread
– 3 eggs
– 1 cup apple sauce (natural/unsweetened)
– 2 cups grated zucchini
– 2 tsp vanilla
– 3 cups flour
– 3 tsp cinnamon
– 1/8 tsp nutmeg
– 1 tsp baking soda
– 1/2 tsp baking power
– 1 tsp salt
– 1 cup yellow raisins/dried cranberries (optional)
– 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
1. Preheat over to 350 degrees; grease and flour two bread pans.
2. Grate zucchini.
3. Whisk together eggs, applesauce, and sugar. Add in zucchini.
4. In second bowl, sift together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
5. Add flour mixture to egg mixture.
6. In a small bowl, mix together raisins, cranberries and chocolate chips with a 1/2 tsp. of flour*.
7. Evenly divide batter between two pans and bake for 50 minutes.
8. Let cool at least 30 minutes and enjoy!
*The flour helps this mixture from sinking to the bottom of the batter.
The recipe I used for inspiration called for 2 cups of zucchini. Since I substituted out the oil, I think I will use 3 cups next time. Also, I grate my own nutmeg so I think I could increase the amount to about 1/4 tsp. But overall, my house guests were quite pleased. Give it a try too and let me know what you think!
While reading Emily’s blog yesterday, I was inspired to make my own list of summer to-do’s. Can’t believe I haven’t done some of these. Must remedy this situation ASAP.
1. Pick strawberries at Bartlett’s Farm.
2. Complete the Sconset/Polpis bike loop.
3. Go deep-sea fishing.
4. After a night of dancing at The Box, finally experience the phosphorescence.
5. Day trip to Coatue.
6. Day trip to Tuckernuck.
7. Take a surf lesson from ACK Surf.
8. Schedule an art class at the Artists Association.
9. Host a killer BBQ in my parents’ backyard, complete with yard games.
10. Master making beach plum jam.